Girls on the Run Lessons:
Choosing to be a Girl on the Run
In lesson 3, the girls are continuing to strengthen their ties to one another as they work to unite as a team. Specifically, they are learning to recognize the power they each have to choose attitudes that help their Girls on the Run team work well together. The concept of accountability for one's actions is explored, as is the concept of making decisions with intention. A couple of the parent lead questions to consider:
1. What are some of the ways you show everyone that you are choosing to be a Girl on the Run?
2. Do we sometimes do things without thinking about them? What is something that you do every day without thinking about it? (You can also answer this question).
Fueling for a Healthy Pace
The girls are learning in today's lesson about the importance of healthy nutrition and healthy habits such as regular physical activity and sleep. During the workout the importance of "pacing" is examined. This lesson offers an excellent opportunity for parents/caregivers to discuss the importance of "balance." A balanced lifestyle represents a happy medium in all aspects of life - physical and mental - which do not fall to either side of the extreme. Questions and conversation starters:
- What are some of our favorite fruits and vegetables?
- What do you think represents a balanced meal? Why is it important for us to eat balanced meals?
- Is it hard to always eat healthy foods? Why? (There are room for really all foods in your diet, but the key is moderation!)
- Why is it important to be physically healthy?
- What is one thing you plan to do to improve your nutrition and/or healthy habits?