Girls on the Run Lessons:
Fueling for a Healthy Pace
The girls are learning in today's lesson about the importance of healthy nutrition and healthy habits such as regular physical activity and sleep. During the workout the importance of "pacing" is examined. This lesson offers an excellent opportunity for parents/caregivers to discuss the importance of "balance." A balanced lifestyle represents a happy medium in all aspects of life - physical and mental - which do not fall to either side of the extreme. Questions and conversation starters:
- What are some of our favorite fruits and vegetables?
- What do you think represents a balanced meal? Why is it important for us to eat balanced meals?
- Is it hard to always eat healthy foods? Why? (There are room for really all foods in your diet, but the key is moderation!)
- Why is it important to be physically healthy?
- What is one thing you plan to do to improve your nutrition and/or healthy habits?
Being Emotional Is Healthy:
Today's lesson is about emotional health. The girls explore different kinds of emotions and discuss how uncomfortable emotions, such as anger, sorrow and frustration make them feel. They are also learning the importance of being able to identify their emotions. Lastly, the are discussing methods to effectively manage their emotional responses. Some parent led questions to consider:
- What are some examples of emotions? Are there any "bad" emotions? (There are not - emotions are just comfortable or uncomfortable)
- What happens if we feel like we can't express some of our emotions?
- Why is it important to let our friends and family feel all of our emotions, even if it makes us feel uncomfortable?
- One thing you learned to day was the importance of taking in a deep breath and 'being' with a feeling to figure out exactly what it is. Then you can figure out what it is you're feeling. Let's do that now. Let's take a minute to be quiet, breathe deeply, and then share what we are feeling.